Friday, May 28, 2010

His hair won't be back

Dog Butt


I'm happy to report that Barksdale's hot spot is healing very well!

The redness is almost all gone and he hasn't been itching or biting it at all these past few days. Even though he is on a regiment of pills that rival Michael Jackson, they all seem to be working well and soon enough, his hair will even grow back and he will look totally normal again.

I can imagine that BD is excited for his butt hair to grow back for several reasons: 

1) so that he doesn't look like a silly little bald butted doggie anymore; and
 
2) so that I stop running around the house calling him my silly little bald butted doggie while trying to force feed him his pills.  

But, unlike my dog, I'm not necessarily looking forward to his hair growing back. I say this because I know that within two minutes of it being back on his body, it will end up on my white carpet. Yes, shedding has been a big problem for us here.  BD's winter coat has been falling out in clumps and it's not unusual for John and I to find it on our clothes, in our bed, and even in our food.

Shedding is by no means a new problem for me. I owned a Samoyed growing up, so I am very much accustomed to dog fur. In fact, when I was in high school I started to knit a sweater made from the fur I would brush off of my dog . Apparently I'm not the only one who has thought of this: 

You can see more of these amazing sweaters here

But since I'm no longer in High School and my sense of fashion has evolved from wearing dog fur as a fashion statement, finding wads of dog hair all over the place is no longer a good thing.  

So what is a non-dog-hair-wearing-girl to do?

Enter the FURMINATOR!!!!

This is the must-have accessory for any dog-owner in Savannah. Yes, it's a bit pricey ($50), but trust me, it's worth every penny. When I first saw the videos for this thing, I couldn't believe my eyes and I doubted that it would actually do what it said it would.   But having owned it for a while now, I'm here to tell you that it's all true. This tool has been a life saver for us down here in Savannah. I'm now using it on BD everyday in our backyard...and with all of the fur i'm pulling off of him, it's a shame that I'm no longer in the market for a dog-fur afghan.


Anyone else have positive experiences with the furminator? Have you used anything else that works?


1 comment:

  1. I love it!!! Having a Golden Retriever...believe me my house is covered with fur...this has helped sooooo much!!! WE brush Beegie....a bunch during the week!!

    ReplyDelete